GatorStart, UF’s online new employee onboarding system, represents the first step you will take toward becoming an official UF employee. With GatorStart, you can begin completing your new hire paperwork prior to setting foot on campus. At this time, GatorStart is not intended for new employees working on a sponsored visa. Please contact your HR department administrator for instructions on how to complete your hiring documents.
The following is a high-level overview on how to complete your GatorStart packet.
To begin the process, you will receive an email from “email@example.com” providing you log-in instructions to access the GatorStart portal. The login ID and temporary password will be provided in this email and it will be different from your Gatorlink account information. Once you have entered your temporary password, you will be prompted to change it to an 8-16-digit password prior to logging in.
After you log in, it will take you approximately 15 to 20 minutes to complete your electronic hiring documents. The GatorStart packet must be completed on or before your first day of employment to comply with U.S. federal statute and to ensure you receive your first paycheck in a timely manner.
Please note, your onboarding packet will expire within 60 days of creation and may no longer be available in your GatorStart portal. If you have any difficulty with the onboarding process or if you have not received instructions via email, please contact your hiring department. For any additional questions, email the Office of Human Resource Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. GATORSTART PACKET
The information pre-filled in GatorStart was submitted by your hiring department. You are welcome to contact your hiring department to make any updates to this information prior to saving in the “Personal Information” page. To assist you in completing your GatorStart packet, we recommend having the following readily accessible:
- GatorStart email containing log-in and temporary password
- Bank account information: bank name, account number, and routing/ACH number
- W-4 withholding allowance information
- Social Security card
After completing your GatorStart packet, you must show original documents establishing your eligibility to work in the U.S. to your hiring department within 3 business days following your first day of employment. As a new employee, you can select the documents you present to establish your identity and work authorization from the Lists of Acceptable Documents. Be sure to contact your hiring department to verify no additional documents are needed to complete your onboarding process.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is the Form W-4? How do I determine the allowances to claim?
- The Form W-4 is a tax form. The allowances you claim on the Form W-4 determine the amount of federal income tax withheld from your gross pay each pay period. For each withholding allowance you claim, you reduce the amount of income tax withheld from your wages.
Since everyone’s financial situation is different, please reach out to a financial advisor to assist with any questions you may have about the W-4 allowances.
- I lost my Social Security card and received a receipt from the Social Security Administration office. May I use this as my List C document?
- A receipt for a List A, B, or C is valid for a document that is lost, stolen, or damaged. The receipt serves as a placeholder for your original, unexpired document for 90 days from the date of hire. Once you receive your original, unexpired documentation (ex. SS card), you will need to bring it to your hiring department within 90 days from the date of hire to meet federal statutes for the Form I-9.
- Am I able to use my Social Security card for the Form I-9 with the following restriction: VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION?
- No, this is a restricted SS card and therefore is not an acceptable document for the Form I-9.
A restricted SS card will have text above the SSN, such as:
- VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION
- VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION
- NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT